With Growing Technology, We always tries to manage our data so that it can easily be reached. Operating systems like Window 7 & Vista comes with a utility called DISK MANAGEMENT, which helps in creating new partitions without the need of formatting or loosing our old data.
We can shrink or expand our drive according to our need in Window 7 using DISK MANAGEMENT. Disk Management is a utility through which we can create a new drive or we can merge existing drive thus it helps in shrinking/expanding our hard drive.
Procedure to Create New Partition in Windows 7 Hard Drive Using Disk Management
- First of all, go to start menu and then right click on “Computer” and click Manage.
- A new Window will come, In left hand side tab click on DISK MANAGEMENT under Storage.
- You will get a list of your all drives. Then Right Click on your selected drive (from which you want to transfer space to our new drive) and click on shrink volume.
- A New Window would open. Check out the second option which is “Size of Available Shrink Space”. This is the maxiumum possible size of your new drive. Now fill the value lower or equal to the available value in third option which is “Enter the Amount of Space to Shrink”
- After Entering the Value click on shrink and wait for the process to finish. If everthing goes well, you will have a new volume in disk graph reading Unallocated Space.
- Right Click on that Unallocated Space and click on the option “ New Simple Volume “.
- A new window will open up. Go through all steps required and fill in the values of your new volume’s size (Usually the value is the same one that you entered as the volume to be shrunk.)
- You will also need to assign a drive letter and also it will ask for file system to format our drive. Select “NTFS” in it and click on Next and after that Finish.
- Congrats, You have one New Drive now. You successfully partitioned your Hard Drive in Windows 7 without formatting and loosing your old data.
[box type=”shadow” ]SOME THINGS TO REMEBER IN MIND
- Window 7 home, starter or Premium and other versions except Ultimate properly doesnt allow to partition if the number of partitions exceeds 4
- The Method will probably not work in Window 7 Starter Edition[/box]